Department of Motor Vehicles
Ulster County Motor Vehicle offers a variety of services to
the residents of the County. Recently many changes have taken place
including acceptance of credit cards for all Motor Vehicle
transactions, automated road test scheduling for permit holders, and
enhanced processing of insurance transactions. These changes allow us
to continue offering efficient and courteous service to the public.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (see below for specific hours for
Main Floor, Ulster County Office Building - 244 Fair Street,
The County Office building is a large glass block building on
the corner of Fair and Main Streets in uptown Kingston, near the Old
Dutch Church. Directions to the Office Building.
If you live near Marlboro,
Saugerties, Ellenville, New Paltz, Shandaken and Shawangunk you may be
able to use the DMV
- Processing Drivers License - Renewals
- Enhanced Drivers License - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Processing Learners Permits - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Processing Non-Driver Identification
- Processing amendments to Drivers License
- Processing Registrations - Original & Renewals
- Processing of CDL permits, renewals and road tests - 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Reciprocity Transactions - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. License Reciprocity from
out of state
- Processing Title Only Transactions
- Obtaining Plates for
Commercial, Passenger, Trailers, Motorcycles, Boats and Snowmobiles
- Plate Surrenders
- Plate Transfers
- Processing amendments to Registrations
For forms or further information please go to www.nydmv.state.ny.us
Processing (9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.)
- Obtaining Conditional License
- Obtaining a Restricted License
- Signing up for the DDP
- Processing Insurance Lapses
- Ticket Information
- Payment of dishonored checks
Kingston office only - these services are not
available at the Mobile Unit.
The County Clerk will accept cash, check or credit card for payment of
Motor Vehicle Services. Additional information can be obtained from our
Motor Vehicle Information Center (845) 340-3700.