FAQ: Finance

Q: What if I do not have any documents or mail in my name?

A: If you were claimed on your parents Federal Income Tax and New York State Income Tax returns, a copy of each may be accepted to show that you are their dependent.  Along with this, you must submit current documentation (bill or mail) with your parents name and address to show Ulster County residency.

Q: What if my driver’s license is less than a year old?

A: If your driver’s license is less than a year old, the Department of Finance will accept a bill, bank statement or voter registration card that is dated at least one year from the date of application to prove New York State residency.  In addition, documentation is required to prove six month residency in Ulster County.

Q: What proof do I need to show my residency?

A: Usually a NYS driver’s license issued at least one year from the date of the application is used to prove the New York State residency requirement.  A bill or bank statement dated six months prior to the date of the application along with a current mailing may be used to prove Ulster County residency requirement.

Q: How do I become eligible?

A: If you have lived in New York State for over one year and in Ulster County during any time in the last six months, you are eligible for a partial certificate.  If you have lived in the County for all of the last six months you are eligible for a full certificate.

Q: How does collecting the 2% tax benefit my business?

A: The 2% tax pays for promotion of tourism in Ulster County, including places to stay, places to visit and places to dine.

Q: How do I collect the 2% occupancy tax?

A: The 2% occupancy tax is an additional fee to the one you charge for accommodations.  Ulster County mandates the collection of the 2% occupancy room tax to be remitted every quarter.  Each quarter you will receive an Occupancy Tax Return form from the Department of Finance to be completed and returned.  Interest and penalty will apply to returns not filed within 20 days of the due date.  The collection of the 2% tax applies to all establishments that rent rooms on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, unless it exceeds 90 consecutive days.

Q: How do I register my establishment?

A: Per your request, the Department of Finance sends an Occupancy Tax Packet, along with a registration form, to be completed and returned.  The Packet explains the law and the requirements for new establishments.  After receiving your registration, you will receive a Certificate of Authority from the Department of Finance which is to be posted in your place of business.

Q: Do I have to register with Ulster County if I rent a room, rooms or a house as a vacation rental by owner?

A: Yes, the Code of the County of Ulster Ch. 312, Art. III, Sec. 312 requires the registration of vacation rentals by owner, bed and breakfast, hotel or motel, bungalows or any establishment that provides overnight accommodations to collect the mandated 2% occupancy tax.

Q: Does the County evict the former owner of the property?

A: Evictions, if necessary, are the sole responsibility of the successful bidder once the deed has been recorded.

Q: Will I have to pay the back taxes as well as my bid?

A: No. Your bid includes all back taxes.