FAQ: Health

Q: How do I get my child tested for lead exposure if I have no insurance?

A: The Health Department provides free testing to those who qualify. For further information, contact the Lead Coordinator at (845) 647-2343.

Q: How are children exposed to lead?

A: Lead-based paint and lead contaminated dust are the main sources of exposure for lead in U.S. children. Lead-based paints were banned in housing in 1978. All houses built before 1978 are likely to contain some lead-based paint.  And, it is the deterioration of this paint that causes a problem.  If you are living in a home that was built before 1978 it is important that you have your home inspected for lead contamination and, if found, to have it removed by a certified contractor. It’s also a good idea to have your healthcare provider check your children for blood lead levels. For further information, contact the Health Department’s Lead Coordinator at (845) 647-2343. For more information, click here.

Q: I am a new mom and would like information about infant care needs and the growth and development of my child.

A: The Health Department offers in-home nursing visits to new moms and also contacts them to resources within the community. For further information contact the Kingston Office at (845) 340-3070 or the Ellenville Office at (845) 647-2343.

Q: Where can I obtain medical services for my handicapped child?

A: Ulster County has a Physically Handicapped Children's Program (PHCP). Contact the PHCP Coordinator at (845) 340-3099 or click here for more information.

Q: What do I need to bring to have my child immunized?

A: You must bring to the appointment the child's immunization record and your current insurance card. When you call for an appointment, staff will review insurance requirements for vaccine coverage with you.

Q: How do I get immunizations for my child?

A: Parent/guardian must call the Health Department Kingston Office at (845) 340-3070 or Ellenville Office at (845) 647-2343. For clinic schedule details, click here.